In Nigeria today there are many individuals who consider themselves as car dealers. Therefore it has become imperative to write about them, to have greater understanding on them.
To begin with, who is a car dealer?
A car dealer is any person whose main business is to buy and sell cars and their parts , either within a country or for international trade.
Car dealers in Nigeria can be classified in different ways; they include:
1. Local or international
2. Brand new cars or second hand
3. Whole cars or spare parts
1. Local or international : car dealers in Nigeria can be group into local or international. Local in the sense that they buy their cars from within Nigeria and also sell it within Nigeria.
Meanwhile , some car dealers buy cars from foreign countries like Benin republic, Belgium, Italy, France and Germany and come and sell it in Nigeria. This kind of car dealership is known as international.
2. Brand new cars or second hand : Some car dealers in Nigeria deal in brand new , tear leather vehicles which they usually buy directly from the manufacturing company. On the other hand many other dealers buy cars from car owners who might want to sell their cars for one reason or the other.
3. Whole cars or spare parts : As earlier mentioned some car dealers may deal in car spare parts like car tyres, car doors, cat steerings and car furnishings. They are usually patronized by the whole car dealers who might want to replace one or two things from the cars they want to sell.
List of car dealers in Nigeria and their location.
Name and Location
Snoop car dealers
Metche Park Berger Auto Market Apapa
Barbedos Cars Ltd
Plot 2974 Shehu Shagari Way, Maitama, Abuja FCT, Nigeria
CFAO Motors Nigeria
28, Ndola Crescent Opposite Ibro Hotel, Wuse Zone 5, Abuja FCT
Plot 635 Akin Adesola Street, Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria
Ikeja Luxury Cars
Plot 108, Ogunnusi Road, Omole 1, opposite FRSC Ojodu, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria
Import Your Car Nigeria Ltd
203 Road, 2nd Avenue, Beside Area E Police Command, Festac Town, Lagos State
Plot 22 Elsie Femi Pearse, Victoria Island, Lagos Nigeria
Kaura Motors Nig. Ltd
AB 2, Nnamdi Azikiwe Way, Express Bye-Pass, Kaduna, Kaduna State
They are several problems car dealers in Nigeria face.
1. The issue of customs : one major problem car dealers in Nigeria face is the issue of customs. The Nigerian customs usually impose high tax and levies on international car dealers. This makes it very difficult for them to sell their cars at an affordable price, which ultimately leads to low patronage.
2. The issue of insecurity : The frequent terrorism , Kidnapping, bombing and stealing has continued to give car dealers in Nigeria. This have made many people leave the business while others have to pay for security ,which will incurs additional cost. According to recent research carried out , car dealership is among top ten most risky jobs in Nigeria.
3. The issue of fraudsters :Many car dealers have been duped huge sum of monies after their encounter with fraudsters. This has caused a lot of mistrust in the industry. Although many fraudsters have being caught , there is still long way to go
Solutions of car dealers in Nigeria
1. Provision of Adequate security across the border : If there is adequate security across the border, it will reduce the rate of kidnapping , armed robbery car dealers in Nigeria usually experience.
2. Review of customs operations : if the customs operations are reviewed in such a way that the would reduce the bureaucracy that they cause Along the road.
According the Nigerian bureau of statistics, the Nigerian car dealers industry is worth over five million dollars. And it is ever increasing growing.